An affirmation is saying or showing something that is true.
When we talk about affirmations in gymnastics, usually it is referring to things that you say to yourself to help you believe something.
Whenever you want to believe something about yourself, practicing and imagining it will help your brain in developing the new neural pathway to actually believing the new thought.
So practicing an affirmation is simply saying something over and over to yourself that you want to strengthen in your mind.
But it is important to start with a thought that you can believe, at least on some level.
Practicing a thought again and again that you just don’t believe sometimes has the opposite effect than you desire.
So you want to choose affirmation that you actually believe.
Below is a list of potential affirmations.
You can also make an affirmation super specific to a skill you are working on.
I always…. Stretch my hurdle, push through my legs, jump and hollow, etc.
So choose an affirmation.
And then put it everywhere.
Right it on a notecard, on your mirror, on your phone wallpaper or your computer screensaver.
Practice thinking it as often as you can, and forsure morning and night.
And use it to train your brain to believe something new and important.
Affirmations about your abilities:
- I am confident in my ability
- I am capable of doing this
- I have the skills needed to perform well
- I am strong
- I am great at swinging bars
- I am a powerful vaulter
Affirmations about competitions:
- I can stay focused under pressure
- I can perform well in tough competitions
- I feel mentally strong, I can stay positive throughout competition
- I like the challenge of competition
- I am a winner at whatever I compete in.
- I will continue to perform my best under pressure.
- I always win and love the feeling of winning.
- I compete because it is fun
Affirmations about who you are:
- I am an amazing athlete.
- I am a strong competitor.
- I am powerful.
- I am a highly skilled athlete.
- I am a fast person.
- I am turning into the greatest athlete.
- I naturally focus my mind when I need to concentrate.
- I naturally achieve all my athletic goals through hard work.
- I naturally have strong athletic abilities.
Affirmations about practice:
- I am willing to put in the work
- I am committed to my training.
- Through practice I will achieve my full potential.
- I will push myself to become the best gymnast.
- Every day my skills are becoming stronger and stronger.
- I will always enjoy the training process.
- I will practice every day.
- I have always loved training harder than anyone else.
- Motivation is easy for me to find when training.
- I enjoy practicing hard.